The Ombudsman has finally updated its website…
On October 24, 2013, the Ombudsman issued what it calls “Update No. 1″ on its website.
Here is a summary of the information provided:
- Both black farmer settlements (Pigford I and Pigford II) have been approved and are now closed.
- The deadline for filing a claim in the second case, known as In re Black Farmers Discrimination Litigation, was May 11, 2012. No one can join at this time.
- The statute of limitations, which would have prevented this lawsuit, was waived by Congress in 2008 but the waiver has now ended.
- Some people or organizations charged claimants money in exchange for a promise of getting those claimants approved. No money was necessary to make a claim. Beware of scams.
- If you feel you have been scammed, you can contact the Ombudsman or your state attorney general to report it.
The full Update # 1 can be found here.